Let me share with you a recipe to make your own pasta Bolognese sauce with out the use of a ready-made jar of pasta sauce from the supermarket. For a quick tasty pasta meal, I am sure many of us just buy a jar of pasta sauce from the supermarket shelve. I mean I do and it always handy to have in your kitchen cupboard. But with a few basic ingredients you can make a tasty Bolognese sauce in no time.
This recipe is great because it is simple to make that can feed a whole family or when you have friends over for a meal. If you make extra then store it in a sealed container and leave in the fridge for the next day.
Pasta Bolognese Sauce (茄汁蔬菜肉醬義大利麵)
- Pasta (Spaghetti goes well but any pasta of your choice is fine)
- Mince meat – 300g (I have used beef but pork can be use instead)
- Onion – 1 (I used shallots instead since kitchen had no onions)
- Garlic – 3-4 cloves
- Carrots – 1
- Celery – 2 stalk
- Chopped tomatoes – 1 can
- Dried Basil – 1 tablespoon
- tomatoes Puree – 2 tablespoon
- Stock – 200-300ml
- Black Pepper – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – to taste
The above measurements are for guidance only – if you like to eat more meat then add more meat, if you like more vegetable then add more vegetable. You can also turn it to just have vegetables if you do not like meat. It it a flexible dish!
- Chop onions, carrots and celery. Then finely chop the garlic.
- Add some oil to a pan and heat. Then first add the chopped garlic, dried basil and fry until fragrance.
- Then add and fry the chopped onions.
- Then add the minced meat and fry until it has changed colour.
- Then add the canned tomatoes, chopped carrots, tomatoes puree and stock.
- Once boil turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- About one minute before serving, add the chopped celery. Then the salt, black pepper and sugar to taste.
- Finally add this on top of the cooked pasta and serve (I have sprinkle some dried parsley for decoration).
(Pasta – cooked this according to the instruction on the package).
With the pasta dish I actually also made a Japanese burger steak (not recommended since the pasta already had beef). But since I could not decide which one to have that evening I thought I have both. What a greedy lady I am…too greedy for my stomach!